ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

Photo

Royal Quest - A Review

• Please log in to reply
Royal Quest - A Review

OhGodAGirl
OhGodAGirl
    Rep
    Kernel Panic Engaged

Threads: 1
Credits: 0
Eight years registered
Royal Quest starts out as a charming, isometric MMO with the personality of Baldur's Gate, but quickly devolves into a stereotypical RPG, littered with uninteresting personality archetypes and plagued by paywalls.

Since Royal Quest tries so hard to emulate its forefathers, lets compare it to them, shall we?

The Story

There are some bad guys called Dark Alchemists who use science- sorry, alchemy, to better themselves. Those monsters! You must hunt them down on behalf of the king.

Along the way, you're going to help farmers who can't harvest their own crops; a shocking and wacky new race, per area; politicians that threaten other politicians with dead rats; tax payers who preform insurance scams; and even play the role of bug exterminator.

The Gameplay

Left-click to hit stuff. Use your number pad to use skills that have vaguely different animations. Right click on different colored vials, and put all the things in your mouth! You'll have at least ten different versions of cheese (blue cheese; slightly blue cheese; ocean breeze cheese; blue-cheese-that-could-be-green...) once you leave the starting area.

The Endgame

Got your credit card out? Good.

Now, try not to spend a cent and be ready to 'raid' (read: kill a world boss with your vaguely-animated skills). There is your endgame challenge.

But wait, there's more!

- There is no (free) teleport option. Remember your hearthstone in World of Warcraft, or your quick transport in Guild Wars 2? Well, in Royal Quest, you'll need to be a Premium Account, or buy a teleport scroll from their real money store.

- Remember mounts? Flight masters? Those fun little things that got you from Point A to Point B a bit faster? Well, you'll be paying with Benjamin Franklins to get anywhere, unless you manage to find a player selling a real-money mount for a years worth of coin.

- Remember inventory management - how you could buy bag space from an Auction House, or additional slots with in-game currency? Royal Quest laughs at your peasantry - you'll have to fork over an increasing sum of cash to get... drum roll one slot. Per bag type. Oh, any slots you purchase are tied to your character, as well.

- Resurrecting at your corpse is a paid feature (5RPR, or 5 Reales per Resurrection). You must resurrect at a Spirit Healer- sorry, Maiden, or in a random location.

- See a mystery box out in the environment? What could be in it? It could be anything. Well, you can find out - for only $9.99. Yes, you have to buy keys with real money to open treasure chests. And what's in this mystery box? It could be anything, right? Sure - but most likely it's going to be 100g worth of potions and some navy-blue cheese.

- A player base at its peak of 150.

- Cosmetic items should just be for looks, right? I mean, it's in the bloody name. Well, Royal Quest wants to add a little something extra - all accessories add stat bonuses. Folks, the golden rule of F2P is to have your storefront not have an effect on gameplay.

- Terrible, absolutely awful customer service. After dismissing my pet - which apparently means 'delete' forever - I was told they would not be able to restore my pet. I'd have to purchase another one for $9.99. Could they not credit my account with reales? Nope, but they can provide me with disjointed English, telling me I am responsible for my actions. Wonderful! Except the 'dismiss' option no where states that your pet will be deleted, only that equipment currently on it will be lost if not removed.

- Did you know you can get your account banned for expressing a negative opinion about the game? Section 2.8 of the fancy 'Game Rules' states you will be banned for proliferation of rumors, slander, or other information discrediting the Game, its Administration, or other players.

- Battlegrounds? Hah! You'll be spending most of your time waiting in queue, and you'll need to re-queue every time you; die; change talents; level up; move to a different area; pick your nose; scratch your balls; feed the cat. Sometimes it'll make you re-queue even if you're frozen, statue still, presumably to ensure that you haven't died yet.

I've given the game a fair try, but its an abysmal quality MMO - one I expected the King's Bounty developers would make shine. The holy trinity of MMO success - customer service; content; community - is just a faint whisper in Royal Quest.

This game is the equivalent of rubbing your genitalia across a cheese grater, then jumping in a bath of apple cider vinegar.

Will I keep playing? Yes. Because I like pain.

Edited by OhGodAGirl, 10 May 2015 - 08:09 AM.

nhomcaloc
nhomcaloc
    Rep

Threads: 0
Credits: 0
Eight years registered

ty