ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

Photo

Is this normal? 417k combo list is really 65,507

• Please log in to reply
Is this normal? 417k combo list is really 65,507

binarybunny
binarybunny
    Rep
    Networking

Threads: 21
Credits: 0
Six years registered

So I decided that I wanted to look up the actual amount of accounts you can expect in one of these lists
because I find it hard to believe that someone is going to get ahold of 417k unique accounts and passwords.

So what I did was I downloaded a combo list, a very fresh one if that matters.
And then I started writing some code to help me figure out the est. number of accounts that you can expect.
I started by looking for duplicated and I was expecting somewhere around 20% but the number I found was chocking.
Out of 417,996 accounts 343,526 were duplicates leaving us with 74440 unique names and passwords.

This means that 82.18% we're duplicates and 17,82% were unique ones.

But it doesnt stop there, roughly 12% (ballparking from what I saw) were fake / random generated emails such as username@Domain.com:password

which I suspect is made to fill up the list and make it look bigger.

Which leaves us with 65,507 or 15.67% unique emails that might have a chance of hitting.

I had some spare time on my hands so I took the time to do this.

I'm not releaseing which list it was because I literally just did this to try to

calculate the chances of hitting.

Quick tip: Clean the lists before trying to hit.

I think I'm going to check through 10 - 20 lists to see how many of them contain the same username:password

and I'll probably post the results aswell.

YQR8iyH.png

IKwCzXi.png

Edited by binarybunny, 16 December 2017 - 01:52 PM.

pruned_23710661
pruned_23710661
    Rep

• PipPipPip
Threads: 0
Six years registered

So I decided that I wanted to look up the actual amount of accounts you can expect in one of these lists
because I find it hard to believe that someone is going to get ahold of 417k unique accounts and passwords.

So what I did was I downloaded a combo list, a very fresh one if that matters.
And then I started writing some code to help me figure out the est. number of accounts that you can expect.
I started by looking for duplicated and I was expecting somewhere around 20% but the number I found was chocking.
Out of 417,996 accounts 343,526 were duplicates leaving us with 74440 unique names and passwords.

This means that 82.18% we're duplicates and 17,82% were unique ones.

But it doesnt stop there, roughly 12% (ballparking from what I saw) were fake / random generated emails such as username@Domain.com:password

which I suspect is made to fill up the list and make it look bigger.

Which leaves us with 65,507 or 15.67% unique emails that might have a chance of hitting.

I had some spare time on my hands so I took the time to do this.

I'm not releaseing which list it was because I literally just did this to try to

calculate the chances of hitting.

Quick tip: Clean the lists before trying to hit.

I think I'm going to check through 10 - 20 lists to see how many of them contain the same username:password

and I'll probably post the results aswell.

YQR8iyH.png

IKwCzXi.png

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

angel16
angel16
    Rep

Threads: 0
Six years registered

thanks