ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

Photo

Game Development

• Please log in to reply
Game Development

tzoitzoi
tzoitzoi
    Rep
    Lurker

Threads: 2
Credits: 0

Four years registered

Hallo community!

I don't have any idea about Game Development but i want to start it.

I wanna learn how to do it.

What is your opinion? What is the best machine to start? Where i can find some easy and helpfully tutorials?

You know about Egret Engine? What do you think? It's a good start?

Thank you in advice.

Enjoy with TzoiTzoi

KingMelon
KingMelon
    Rep

Threads: 0

Four years registered

I think one of the best ways starting stuff is youtube or google. By doing some researches you will quickly find your own style and what you like and what you don't like. Later on you can get more specific after you know which engine you want to use etc. I m not in Game Dev but that's the way how i start anything i want to learn or improve!

Funnylove1
Funnylove1
    Rep
    Addicted

• PipPipPipPipPip

Four years registered
Fine

BearyMoody
BearyMoody
    Rep

• PipPipPip
Threads: 4

Four years registered

Honestly I'd say just start with Unity or Unreal (wow, what a shock! i know). I say those engines are the easiest to get into because of the overwhelming amount of support, tutorials, and assets available. There no reason that you shouldn't be able to make even the smallest game within a month with those engines. Just follow youtube tutorials and hold their hand until you can cobble together something without their help. Another easy engine that gets very little recognition is Godot. it's been doing pretty well for itself considering how fairly new it is. It's developers and community are very active and helpful, and the engine utilizes a python-like syntax that's VERY easy to learn. Gets updates regularly and its developers are always receiving funding. Oh and did i mention its open source? meaning you can make any edits to it without having to credit the original developers. And if you are fortunate enough to have a semi successful game, you don't have to pay any royalties like you would with unity or unreal. It has growing support for c# as well. You'll struggle to find any assets specifically optimized for the engine however, and tutorials aren't all that plentiful, but there's enough to get by. Also the engine is very small (byte size wise) and is not at all demanding on your system, so it can run on toasters like mine. Imma stop sucking Godots dick now, but here the gist of what i'm saying:

Unity or unreal: if you're just looking to mess around with game dev as a hobby. Tons of resources to learn from and free assets/scripts available.

Godot: I recommend for long term aspiring game dev. Open source with lots of customization, no royalties if you make it big, and easy to get into. Not as many tutorials as the other engines though, and only small niche scripts can really be found for free. After you become proficient with engine, it's just as good as any other tbh. Oh and it's one of the least demanding engines out there for us toaster users.

I don't recommend paying for classes or tutorials. Pretty much all knowledge can be obtained for free and most of those "teachers" got it for free before deciding to sell it to you. Just go on youtube, browse subreddits, and go on the official forums for all the info you need. (Of course look at the engine API as well)

Some sites for free assets:

https://www.textures.com

https://opengameart.org

https://www.freesound.org

www.archive.org

https://commons.wikimedia.org

Only search for cc0 materials unless you don't mind crediting the owners of the assets you're using. That's about all I can think of right now. There might also be some juicy stuff in the graphics section of this site. Someone may disagree with what I said earlier or just add on to my pile. I don't really care.

DANGER911
DANGER911
    Rep
    911, what's your emergency?

• PipPipPipPip
Threads: 6

Four years registered

I'd be the investor here

FungoService
FungoService
    Rep

• PipPipPip
Threads: 1

Four years registered

You could find really good tutorials on udemy. Especially in Unity. 

TSARU
TSARU
    Rep
    Wait? What is this? Hello!?

Threads: 18

Four years registered

I don't really know where you're from, but near me there are some studios that works with light game development, which are known to take interns.

You could check for local studios and contact them. Best way of learning is doing.

Takis95
Takis95
    Rep
    Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip

Four years registered
I dont think

newstof
newstof
    Rep