ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

Photo

Suggest a good book Linux Reversing

• Please log in to reply
Suggest a good book Linux Reversing

luciferniv
luciferniv
    Rep

Threads: 1
Credits: 0
Four years registered

I am completely new to reverse engineering thing, i would like to learn Linux Reverse Engineering first then move to Windows stuffs. Please Suggest a good book ( i prefer books ) , or tutorial series for it. Thanks.

FaithHF
FaithHF
    Rep
    SESH

Threads: 36

Seven years registered
Well what do you currently know and what specifically are you trying to reverse?

Like, assembly is needed for executables most of the time (unless it uses runtimes of some sort) but, if you do have runtimes (.jar files, or .net anything) then reversing will be entirely different.

Same goes for script reversal, with all the encodings, gotos, arbitrary objects, etc.

So start with what youre familiar with. Fancy debug software wont help you if you arent at least proficient in the language(s) youre reversing.

tonu96
tonu96
    Rep
    Addicted

Threads: 6
Five years registered

So start with what youre familiar with. Fancy debug software wont help you if you arent at least proficient in the language(s) youre reversing.

To this point, I'd say a good book on assembly or perhaps the C language if you find a good disassembler is probably going to be the most useful for reversing Linux binaries.

luciferniv
luciferniv
    Rep

Threads: 1
Four years registered

Well what do you currently know and what specifically are you trying to reverse?

Like, assembly is needed for executables most of the time (unless it uses runtimes of some sort) but, if you do have runtimes (.jar files, or .net anything) then reversing will be entirely different.

Same goes for script reversal, with all the encodings, gotos, arbitrary objects, etc.

I am mainly interested in reversing Linux binaries (ELF binaries). I m trying to use Ghidra, but most of the time i cannot figure out the possible source code from the assembly. Can you provide links to any easy crackmes for linux?

FaithHF
FaithHF
    Rep
    SESH

Threads: 36

Seven years registered

I am mainly interested in reversing Linux binaries (ELF binaries). I m trying to use Ghidra, but most of the time i cannot figure out the possible source code from the assembly. Can you provide links to any easy crackmes for linux?

If you can't even figure out the assembly, then you aren't looking for crackmes. You're looking for a book on assembly and generally how computers work.

Hacking:AoE is a great start since it goes over the C language, debugging/disassembling to ASM, and then exploitation/shellcoding.

Beginners.RE is another good spot with a heavier focus on the ASM part. I'll also suggest a book from Apress called Low Level Programming. I uploaded it here a while ago, you can probably find it in one of my threads.