ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

Photo

got a question regarding site

• Please log in to reply
got a question regarding site

Knipe
Knipe
    Rep
    Veteran

Threads: 119
Credits: 5

Half year registered

Okay i am by no means a dev or know anything about it but i have a serious problem.

Lets say i buy a custom coded site from 0 with no templates used with a backend panel.

the site being launched and after a while i want to hire a dev to add new features to it.

The dev needs my admin panel access to add those features but theres nothing stopping him from yoinking my site or just deleting it completely for fun.

Is there a way around this? ( dont tell me to learn web dev myself)

HarleyQuinn
HarleyQuinn
    Rep
    Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy.

Threads: 70
Credits: 0

i don't understand what you mean but you should keep a backup of your site. i think you should considerably give him the main files and ask him to make changes there, then try implementing them yourself and seeing if its working or not

like i said i have no idea if this is what u meant

dalton
dalton
    Rep
    Veteran

Threads: 471

One year registered

Okay i am by no means a dev or know anything about it but i have a serious problem.

Lets say i buy a custom coded site from 0 with no templates used with a backend panel.

the site being launched and after a while i want to hire a dev to add new features to it.

The dev needs my admin panel access to add those features but theres nothing stopping him from yoinking my site or just deleting it completely for fun.

Is there a way around this? ( dont tell me to learn web dev myself)

Backup. Then just give him FTP and DB access. 

My only discord is dalton#3374 (UID: 486409162612277268)

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fs660k7z

FaithHF
FaithHF
    Rep
    SESH

Threads: 24

Two years registered
What the above said.
If you're hiring a dev, you trust them. Take their ID or something for the sake of credibility. Make em sign an NDA or other contract prohibiting anything like that.

If you can't trust your dev, don't hire them.

As an alternative, set them up their own account on the server that only has access to whatever they're working on. Back up your copy. Take logs, do whatever.

Or just send them what you have, tell them to set up their own local environment and review changes yourself before pushing them live, like every other devops system in the world.

Castiel
Castiel
    Rep
    Veteran

[STAFF]
Threads: 102

Three years registered

Make a backup of your FTP + Database and create a dev environment with a copy of your FTP.

tonu96
tonu96
    Rep
    Addicted

Threads: 6
Half year registered

I agree with everything said already, especially about not hiring someone you don't trust in the first place. This is probably your best option, though:

Or just send them what you have, tell them to set up their own local environment and review changes yourself before pushing them live, like every other devops system in the world.

Even if the dev is trustworthy, they could always make a mistake that messes up your site or database. Given them their own environment to work in will prevent just about any issue they might cause modifying your site. You'd also be able to protect your users' data by just populating a database with test values for the dev to work with rather than giving full access to potentially sensitive data.